I’ve been meaning to post something about my websites here over the last few weeks so I figured I’d better do it now before the new year is upon us.
So about a month ago I would have had a number of sites still up and running. Animay, Pixelacious (part of ReBoot Mayhem), Tidus & Tifa, ReBoot Mayhem, Edge of Beyond and this site. I’ve been reluctant to get rid of any of these sites, particularly Animay and ReBoot Mayhem mainly because of the length of time they’ve been in operation. However, I had to really re-evaluate why I needed these sites to continue to be running. For your information, I had very little choice but to purchase my own server via my host in order to run these sites. This was mainly the fault of Animay as it is such a large site to run. The cost was $175USD per month which is fine if you have very few other bills to pay but it gets to become a real struggle to make ends meet with such a large chunk coming out of my pay per month (for your information the above can translate to anywhere between that exact amount up to $230AUD pending how the dollar is fairing). Continue reading
If any of you ‘Beyonders’ are looking here, the boards are back up and running. You will need to access them via a new url: http://edgeofbeyond.net – note there is no www (same as this site) and no trailing ‘/boards’ folder to access the site. It took a while to get it up and running and organised but hopefully things will be going smoothly. Please login and let me know of any problems – if you can’t login, send me an e-mail and I’ll check out what the problem is. Hopefully I won’t have any similar problems in getting ReBoot Mayhem up and running that I did with the boards, though RBM doesn’t have “149992 posts in 5080 topics by 485 members”!!!
I’ve successfully exported and imported the database for the Edge of Beyond forums, installed the forums on the new host and have been making sure everything is there. Its good! The only thing is the forums look a little whacky as they need to be re-setup to look the way they were, however all the members and posts are there which was my main concern. I’ll be pointing the domain name servers probably after I get home from an engagement party tomorrow night. It will take about 24 hours for the dns to update itself, after which the site will be live (though still in maintenance mode so I can fix up the visual errors). I’m still not 100% sure if everything is completely A-OK but it looks promising so far. ^_^b